In The US For A Job


“I’m a Canadian citizen, and am moving to the US for a new job. My family is going to stay in Canada, and I will be coming back when I can on weekends to visit. I’m confused about taxes, and want to know the correct way to do things. I would like to know if I will be treated as a non-resident, and if there are ways I can reduce my taxes?”


Because your family is staying in Canada, and you are (I’m assuming) keeping your house there, you will likely be treated as a Canadian resident for tax purposes, and taxed in Canada on your US income. Separately, you’ll want to file a US return for your US-source income.

In terms of lowering tax liability, you’ll want to make sure you take advantage of the foreign tax credit available. After that, you’re looking at the usual planning items like RRSP’s, TFSA, RESP’s etc. You also might be able to take advantage of some moving expenses if you had to cover these out of pocket.

Usual Disclaimer: This information is for general information purposes only, and deals with complicated and time-sensitive info that may not apply to your situation. Tax rules are always changing, and this information may not be current. Tax is complicated, this information is not tax advice, and don’t rely on this info to make tax decisions – Hire someone to help you.