US Citizen Married A Canadian


“I’m a US citizen living and working in Canada. Last year I got married to a Canadian. Does my spouse now have to file the US tax forms as well?”


Fortunately, nothing changes for your wife. The only thing that requires an adjustment is that on your own US return you will need to change your filing status from “Single” to “Married Filing Separately.” Your spouse doesn’t need to fill out any US-related tax info, and won’t be subject to US tax.

Usual Disclaimer: This information is for general information purposes only, and deals with complicated and time-sensitive info that may not apply to your situation. Tax rules are always changing, and this information may not be current. Tax is complicated, this information is not tax advice, and don’t rely on this info to make tax decisions – Hire someone to help you.